Nurses promote health, prevent disease, and help patients cope with illness. They have a unique scope of practice and can practice independently, although they also collaborate with all members of the healthcare team to provide the care needed by each patient as an individual. Nurses are hands-on health professionals who provide focused and highly personalized care. The field has a wide range of career opportunities, ranging from entry-level practitioner to doctoral-level researcher.
Nurses also serve as advocates for patients, families, and communities. They develop and manage nursing care plans; instruct patients and their families in proper care; and help individuals and groups take steps to improve or maintain their health.
It is the student’s responsibility to know the requirements for the nursing programs for which they are interested in applying. Common pathways to Nursing include: traditional BSN, accelerated or second degree BSN, and RN to BSN.
Overview of Nursing Programs at The University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, MS
***Below is an overview of nursing programs in Jackson, MS. Students who attend the University of Mississippi in Oxford for their pre-requisites are not automatically admitted to the nursing program in Jackson. Admission is COMPETITIVE! Different nursing schools have different requirements.***
The University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Nursing offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral nursing degrees. All degrees offered through the University of Mississippi in nursing must be completed on the Jackson, MS medical center campus.
Students can choose which route fits their interest area. The University of Mississippi Medical Center offers a bachelors of science in nursing through two routes: traditional BSN and accelerated BSN.
- Traditional BSN: A 2+2 program where you spend 2 years on the Oxford campus completing your pre-requisite courses and finish your degree on the UMMC campus in Jackson, MS or another nursing school. (It may take some students 3 years to complete the needed pre-requisites.)
- Accelerated BSN: You must hold a bachelor’s degree at the time of the application due date and then will complete nursing school in 12 months for a bachelor of science in nursing. UMMC now offers an accelerated nursing program in Oxford, MS.
- RN-BSN: This route is for students who hold a RN (registered nurse) degree from a community college or other institution. Then will complete the requirements for the BSN in Jackson at the Medical Center.
- MSN: The master’s of science in nursing is offered to students who have already completed the RN or BSN degree and wish to pursue a higher degree.
- Doctoral Degrees: These include PhD and DNP degrees that are awarded to students who hold a BSN or MSN degree.
Program Advising Sheets
Click here for the Nursing 2+2 curriculum/advising sheet for the University of Mississippi School of Nursing located in Jackson, MS. (The sheet can also be used for students interested in the accelerated BSN route.) If students wish to apply to other schools it is their responsibility to find their requirements, contact the school of interest, and talk about options with their advisor.
Links for Programs at the University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Nursing
- The required courses for BSN and Accelerated BSN, as well as other information for prospective students.
- Freshman Early Entry—This may be an option for high school students who wish to attend Ole Miss in Oxford for two years then finish the BSN program in Jackson, MS at UMMC. You must have a 25 ACT and a 3.5 HS GPA to apply by Nov. 1 of freshman year.
- Traditional BSN admission information can be found here, such as minimum ACT score and GPA.
Other great links for Nursing
- Research nursing careers: http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/Field/6/Nursing
- Explore nursing programs: https://www.aacn.nche.edu/students/nursing-program-search
- Explore nursing specialties: http://www.discovernursing.com/explore-specialties#no-filters
- More links can be found here.
* Different nursing schools have different requirements!!!*