Students will pursue an Occupational Therapy Doctorate (OTD) degree. This is a terminal degree that takes 3 years of occupational therapy school after you earn your bachelor’s degree. Preparation for occupational therapy school involves curricular and extracurricular experiences which demonstrate communication and leadership skills, community service, and familiarity with the occupational therapy profession.
The University of Mississippi Occupational Therapy program is housed at our sister campus, University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) in Jackson, MS.
To enter occupational therapy school, you will need:
- Bachelors degree in any major that you choose,
- Experience in a occupational therapy setting, such as shadowing an occupational therapist,
- A competitive Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score,
- Letters of evaluation that address personal qualities and characteristics of the applicant, and
- Evidence of leadership and community involvement.
It’s never too early to start thinking about preparation for occupational therapy school.