Physical therapy students will pursue a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). This is a terminal degree that takes 3 years of physical therapy school after you earn your bachelor’s degree. Preparation for physical therapy school involves curricular and extracurricular experiences which demonstrate communication, leadership, community service, and familiarity with the physical therapy profession.
The University of Mississippi Physical Therapy Program is housed at our sister campus, University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) in Jackson, MS.
To enter physical therapy school, you will need:
- Bachelors degree in any major that you choose,
- Experience in a physical therapy setting, such as shadowing a physical therapist,
- A competitive Graduate Records Exam (GRE) score,
- Letters of evaluation that address personal qualities and characteristics of the applicant, and
- Evidence of leadership and community involvement.
It’s never too early to start thinking about preparation for physical therapy school.